Mango pachadi or Mango Relish is a lip-smacking wonder. Sweet, tangy, salty, spicy, your taste-buds will definitely go crazy :D
- Semi-ripe mango - 1 medium size cut to bite size pieces
- Oil - 2tsp
- Mustard seeds- 1/2 tsp
- Hing (Asafoetida) powder- a pinch
- Curry leaves
- Turmeric powder- 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Chilli pwdr- 1/2 tsp (If using Kashmiri mirch- increase amount as per taste)
- Grated Jaggery- 2 tbsps
- Water 1 cup
|Bubbling Mango relish in my earthen pot!!|
Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and allow to splutter. Reduce heat and put hing powder and curry leaves. Put the mango pieces and saute. Add turmeric powder, chilly powder and salt. Stir until the mango pieces begins to soften. Pour the water into the pan , it should be sufficient enough to immerse the mango chunks. Close with a lid and allow to cook on reduced heat. Remove lid and add the grated jaggery. Mix well until the jaggery has melted . Serve hot or chilled . Goes well with plain rice, chapathi and even bread.
Tips for you:
- Amount of red chilly powder and jaggery shud be adjusted depending on the sweetness and ripeness of the mango.
- the sweeter the mango the lesser the jaggery and more the chilly powder
- Jaggery might have a little saltiness to it so adjust salt according to taste.
- Desired consistency of the pachadi, either semi-gravy or completely dry can be achieved by letting the water evaporate.